Trade Terms & Conditions
All purchases are either cash or credit. Credit purchases are 30 days from date of invoice, eg., goods bought on the 20th of the month is due on the 19th of the following month.
Please note features on your invoice:
- Date of Invoice
- Invoice Number
- Customer Number (this is how your bookshop is identified)
- Order Number
- Quantity Ordered
- Quantity Supplied
- Description of Goods – CPSS Year 6
- Published Price
- Discount (Institution such as schools, libraries private and public sector companies, groups and churches may be eligible for 20% discount. Conditions Apply. The discount rates for book sellers are as low as follows:
1&2 copies – no discount
3 – 5 copies – 20% discount
6 & over copies – 30% discount
- Extended Prices (This Qty x PP Less Discount)
- Total at the bottom of the invoice
- Name, Signature and Date. Please ensure that the Dispatcher signs your invoice.
Carlong has a Committee which meets to ascertain how much credit is given to a customer.
Committee members are as follows:
Carl Carby – Executive Chairman
Lorna Allen – Sales and Distribution Manager
Jennifer Beckford – Warehouse Manager
Erpha Lewinson – Customer Service supervisor
The committee meets the first week of May each year to set the credit limits for the season, July – October and Also the slow season, November – June of the following year.
A credit letter is sent to all credit customers informing them of their new limits for the upcoming season.
Variables used to set the limits:
- Largest invoice per month
- Highest balance per month
- Days to pay
- Number of returned cheque
- Total Sales for the prior year
- Expansion – This information is sent by the customer. Additional store or expansion of original store
New customers are required to trade for two years then apply in writing, Conditions Apply. New customers are required to fill out a Bookshop Data Form supplied by Carlong giving information on type of goods sold in store, type of management present at store, full-time, part-time/absentee, credit references, etc.
When orders are submitted, an assessment is done to determine whether the order should be supplied or not. Your balance is checked to ascertain whether you are within your credit limit or if you can have exceeded same, if you are credited customer. The customer is informed if the limit has been exceeded and is given the chance to make good the situation, eg., if the credit limit is $250,000.00 for goods supplied in same, and your present order is $350,000.00, you will be asked to either pay the difference of $100,000.00 or trim your order to $150,000.00.
We ask that orders be submitted at least 2 days in advance, in order to minimize long turn around time. We do our best, but we ask for your input as well.
In your best interest, we ask that you check your goods with our dispatcher to ensure accuracy. Once both parties sign invoices, this negates a call a day or two later to say you have shortages.
This is done at the customer’s risk. Customers, especially those in the country, ask that their order be packed and ready for pick up. We do try to accommodate these requests, but should not be held responsible for shortage as we stress the importance of both parties being present at the check off point.
Book may be returned to the Inventory Clerk, within 90 days from date of invoice. They must satisfy the following criteria before credit can be approved:
- All books must be in saleable condition, i.e., book (s) must not be damaged in any way
- All prices should be removed completely without defacing the book. No sticker residue or pencil mark or impression should be left behind.
- A copy of the invoice or delivery note on which the books were originally supplied must be presented with the books being returned.
- Both the customer and the inventory clerk must check and agree on the books being returned.
NB 6 copies is considered as a firm sale
Books may be returned for replacement once they are faulty.
Faulty returns are:
- Books collated incorrectly
- Pages that are missing
- The consumer returns a book(s) that is faulty. These should be replaced and returned to us for exchange. In the event that we are unable to exchange these books due to stock outage, a credit note will be issued.
We prepare stock lists which details the list of books printed and stocked by us. Additional copies are available from our sales staff at our Newport West office.
Statements are printed monthly and sent to each credit customer. The responsibility is yours to go through your statements and direct all inquires to the Customer Service Supervisor or the Customer Services Representative.
When making a payment, we ask that you pay by invoice, quoting the invoice number being paid. When you pay on account, the oldest invoice is usually paid first. Your statement is broken down as follows:
|Current||- All invoices within the given month, not yet due|
|31 -60 days||- Invoices over the 30 days period and is now past due|
|61 - 90||- All invoices are overdue|
|over 90 days||- Critical|
Books for inspection are available from the Marketing Department, Located at
17 Ruthven Road, Building 3, Kingston 10. All requests for inspection copies should be written on the company’s letterhead. School requests should be done on the school’s letterhead.
As soon as new publications are printed, a complimentary copy is sent to each book seller to display in their store. A copy is also sent to the schools where applicable.
This is Carlong’s way of keeping you abreast of current news relating to our books. It is imperative that you pay special attention to your book news, as this will assist you in all relevant information pertaining to new publications, new editions and out of print titles.
These are sent annually along with your credit letters. There is a copy in your folder.
We hope that the information imparted will assist you in understanding a lot more of how valuable your business is to us and that as a team, we can work towards a better relation ship for the good of both parties.
Method of Payment
Manager’s Cheque, cash or bank transfers. Customers Paying via Bank transfers should first ascertain the invoice amount from the sales office. The amount should be lodged to carlong publishers (Caribbean) account number 391015279 National Commercial bank, Newport West branch. Lodegments can be made at any branch of NCB. Lodgement slips should be faxed to the sales office after lodgement is done so that the customers account can be credited. The customer name should be clearly written on he lodgement slip before faxing same.